go away spammer

Author Topic: Looking for Robotics Graduate Schools  (Read 51783 times)

Offline crossroads1946Topic starter

• Helpful? 0
Looking for Robotics Graduate Schools
« on: September 01, 2007, 11:05:08 AM »
Howdy,

I am in my last year of classes for my bachelors degree in computer science and am looking to go on to get a PhD. I'm looking for schools that offer a PhD. in computer science, electrical engineering or ideally, robotics. If anyone knows of any schools with programs that specifically involve robotics, I would really appreciate any help, advice, or information you can give me. CMU is obviously my first choice, but I need to be realistic about where I can get accepted, so I'm looking for a wide range of schools I can apply to. I'm looking to stay in the United States, but where in the US doesn't matter. (I have done research on my own and have come up with a list of schools, but I'd like to get people's thoughts first before I list those schools and ask for specifics on them).

Also, I'm wondering if anyone might have any idea on what my chances of being accepted into a robotics program are. I get decent grades and have a GPA between 3.4 and 3.5 (4.0 scale). I've built a wall following robot for my Microcontroller's class, and am conducting my own research project this year as well (distributed joint control if you're wondering). I know there is a lot more to the admissions process than just this, but do you have to be the best of the best to get into some of these places?

Any information would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Thanks
Baker

--Just found this site and am quite impressed. Keep up the good work!

Offline Steve Joblin

• Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 2
    • Roebotz
Re: Looking for Robotics Graduate Schools
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 07:51:13 AM »
All the top engineering and science schools have excellent programs... Stamford, MIT, CalTech, etc.

I've heard that Admin (the guy that owns this great forum) tried to get into CMU, but they did not accept him... to get an idea of the calibur of this unique and talented individual, check out http://www.societyofrobots.com/robotforum/index.php?topic=889.0

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
  • Only You Can Build A Robot!
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 07:00:18 PM »
University of Utah

University of Michigan

Georgia Tech

After I get some more experience in the field and finish a complex robot project of my own (Magellan type),
I plan on applying to those schools, if my girlfriend will let me  :P

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 02:27:07 AM »
Univ. of Tokyo, Tsukuba, Osaka, Chiba...
Try a scholarship to Japan, like me.
A.I.(yes those are my initials)

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »
I lived in Kumamoto for a year, and I can speak ok (every day stuff, nothing to complex) but can't write or read all that well (Kanji is my weakness)... How hard would it be for me to get into a place like that?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 09:48:03 AM by JesseWelling »

Offline silo_xtreme

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
  • I really love robots, they keep me awake at night.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 02:32:23 PM »
Univeristy of Pennslyvania has a good program offering a Masters and Doctorial in Robotics.

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 11:38:11 PM »
I lived in Kumamoto for a year, and I can speak ok (every day stuff, nothing to complex) but can't write or read all that well (Kanji is my weakness)... How hard would it be for me to get into a place like that?

Your situation is way better then mine when I came (2.5 years ago for college/graduation in biosystems). If you want a doctor or master degree ( I assume you are already graduated) then you just have to contact a teacher that has an interesting research for you and contact Monbukagakusho for the scholarship (google for MEXT and scholarship). There is also a test and/or an interview, but since you already can speack Japanese, you have got some extra advantage.
 I am upgrading my scholarship next year for postgraduation (daigakuin), I already have my teacher's support and my research topic prepared so I am just waiting for the confirmation. While that, I finish my current graduation course.

Offline JesseWelling

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 0

Offline Tsukubadaisei

• Robot Overlord
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:41:01 AM »
Hey Jesse,
 I have found this link from the UK's embassy: http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/study/mext_postgrad.html
 There is some documentation there about the postgraduate research programs, but it just game an idea: you should look for information in the Japanese embassy in US. That is the best place to get info. Everything I learned about the program I learned at the embassy in Brazil.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 01:46:51 PM »
Well, I guess I've narrowed it down a bit. As I said, I'm planning on staying in the United States for grad school, so right now, I'm looking at the following:

(In no particular order)
  • Carnegie Mellon - Robotics Institute
  • University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
  • Georgia Tech
  • University of Michigan
  • University of Utah
  • University of Pennsylvania
  • University of Texas in Austin
  • Stanford University

If anyone has any knowledge or information on these school's computer science and robotics programs (particularly information that isn't on their websites), or any recommendations or advice, I'd really appriciate it.

Thanks

-Baker

Offline hgordon

• Expert Roboticist
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 7
    • Surveyor Robotics Journal
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 02:53:55 PM »
Those are all good programs.  You probably want to include MIT on your list - take a look at the aeronautics and astronautics department.
Surveyor Corporation
  www.surveyor.com

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Supreme Robot
  • Helpful? 173
    • Society of Robots
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 04:37:34 PM »
University of Maryland doesnt have a specific robotics program, but many of their labs are heavy on robotics to solve non-robotics related research problems.

• Helpful? 0
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 10:07:04 AM »
Thank you. I'll be looking into them.

-Baker

Offline jchahn

• Beginner
  • Helpful? 0
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »
You might take a look at Rice University (Houston, TX) http://www.rice.edu

You can get a masters or ph.d. there in computer science and you pick among 5 different "areas of focus" during your degree track.  One of the areas is AI/Robotics.
If you haven't heard of Rice, it is one of the more prestigious engineering schools in Texas.  Everyone who gets into their graduate program gets their tuiton waived and they get a monthly stipend.  It's on the house the first year, but after that you are required to become a research assistant (RA) or teaching assistant (TA) to earn your keep.  They keep waiving your tuition and giving you a stipend until you graduate, but you have to work for it after the first year.

Rice University Stats:

average GPA for acceptance into master's program:  3.48
average GPA for acceptance into phd program: 3.79

With your GPA you might get your foot in the door by squeaking into the master's program.  Then show them what you are made of and if you do well in the master's program, you can probably go on to the phd.

Get Your Ad Here